Sunday 9 December 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
288 pages

Rating: 4/5

I was a little skeptical to read this after reading The Future of Us earlier this year and not enjoying it but it was on my shelf so I thought I'd give it a go and I'm so glad I did! I thought this book was really good and I can see why it gets so much attention. Not only is it written in a way that makes it absolutely impossible to put down but I found that it also had a really original idea behind it. The plot wasn't necessarily surprising but the general idea of the book and the way that it was written made it really gripping and impossible to put down.

Clay Jensen gets home one day to find a package on his doorstep that contains 7 cassette tapes. He quickly discovers that these tapes contain the 13 reasons his class mate, Hannah Baker, committed suicide. Hannah recorded these tapes just before killing herself in order to explain to certain people the 13 reasons why she did it. Clay listens throughout the night and what he discovers changes his life forever.

*SPOILERS* The one thing I thought was a little bit of a let down with this book was the fact that Clay's name 'didn't belong on the list.' I found that a little predictable and in a way, I thought it could have been better if he had done something to Hannah without knowing it. I did really enjoy the ending as well as I thought the way it ended with him going to talk to Skye left it finished but not in a way that left everything solved. It  left me wondering what had happened to the characters afterwards and I always think that makes the book good. *END OF SPOILERS*

I really enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why and would definitely recommend it! It's not really for younger readers as there are certain bits that might be a little too mature for people under the age of about 13 but then the nature of the book, I would have thought, doesn't really appeal to young readers any way. A fantastic book though and definitely worth the read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment